Sunday, October 12, 2008

letter to CTV

Mr. Duffy;

I believe your decision to air the Dion outtakes is one of the worst displays of corporate journalism in this country. As a Canadian I was embarrassed by this example of news coverage.  As a former journalist, I am appalled to see how low the standards have fallen.

As a consequence, I will be boycotting all CTV programming, and will be organizing a boycott as well. This boycott will be in effect until Mike Duffy apologizes for airing these tapes on his show. The Dion tapes were not newsworthy, and they were obtained through dishonest means. 

I am tired of francophones being cut up for their efforts to use the English language. In addition, you have insulted all people with hearing challenges. 

This does nothing to ease the tensions between Quebec and the rest of Canada, or help people make a thoughtful, wise decision on how to vote.

Your obvious glee in this moment of "gotcha" journalism was disappointing to witness. Possibly a return to a journalistic ethics professional development program would serve you well. There are several excellent programs in Canada. One can hold out hope that you can learn what ethics in journalism are.

16 comments:

penlan said...

Thanks for posting the letter Deb.

Sitting here waiting for polls to close & for results to come in. And I'm shaking in my socks. So worried.

Deb Prothero said...

Hey Penlan;

Yeah, I've got butterflies in my stomach. I'm so worried that we haven't done enough to stop Harper.

penlan said...

Me too. And I don't know about the rest of the country but there were polling stations that didn't open up - the workers never showed up & one polling station that turned out to be an empty lot. This is terrible.

And did you see where Harper had a meeting with banking officials & promised to put billions into the banks? Did it Mon. night I believe.

penlan said...

Here's a link to the polling stations story:

http://www.thestar.com/federalelection/article/517023

Deb Prothero said...

Yes, I saw the story about polling stations in Ken Dryden's riding not opening until 11AM.

And as for the bank scandal, it is outrageous!

penlan said...

The eve of the election no less! Harper is truly nasty. A very sick individual & I fear he will have power again to ram through everything he wants to do to destroy this country & the people - except for those like himself.

penlan said...

Where will you be following the election results?

Deb Prothero said...

I'm at home watching on TV and online because I'm still nursing a broken hand and trying to just keep up with my daily life. My riding is Elgin-Middlesex-London.

How about you? Where are you?

penlan said...

I'm in Perth-Wellington. Live in Mitchell...20 mins. west of Stratford.

How did you break your hand?

Deb Prothero said...

Oh, did I meet you at Sandra's event. I was there when Bob Rae was at the Queen's.

Deb Prothero said...

Oh and my hand - well that's just a silly accident. I caught my baby finger in my jean's pocket and my hand didn't stop moving toward where it was headed. It snapped and broke the meta carpel bone. Do not recommend this - it's very painful.

penlan said...

I couldn't get to Sandra's event with Rae. I am physically disabled, don't drive & couldn't find a ride. I get around on one of those 4 wheeled scooters. BUT ONCE WINTER HITS i CAN'T GET OUT AT ALL. Oops - sorry for caps.

Sad...May lost. Damn.

penlan said...

I volunteered all through Sandra's campaign. Right up until 7:30 tonight. On phone the whole time. My ear is red. 4 weeks of phone calling...lol

penlan said...

Oh that sounds terribly painful! Must have been a huge shock for you!!!

penlan said...

Results are terrible. Libs are getting trounced. Bad, bad news.

I'm going now Deb. Hope we can chat again sometime!

Cons already have 104, Libs 70.

Awful!

Deb Prothero said...

Thanks for all the work you did. It doesn't look good for us. We'll have to hope that BC comes in better.